Friday 18 May 2018

Nevermoor, The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

"Now she was being blamed for something that hadn't even happened yet."

Did you ever feel a little cursed as a child? I did. Mostly because of the neighbour that picked on me, and the kid that kicked me on the bus and the other kids that called me names. Yep, childhood was a bit of a drag. How I would have loved a heroine like Morrigan Crow in those days. She is a delight. This is so much better than Harry Potter - there I said it. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a little Potter now and again, but this I just devoured like Messina Gelato. Could not get enough of it. Already desperate to read the next novel and find out what happens.

This is a magical world with palpable problems and the fear of real harm.  It has at its heart an emotional journey from rejection and isolation into friendship, family and acceptance. That in itself is beautiful. Then there's the action and suspense, fabulously delivered in true page turning style. I read this on the train to and from work ( with a sneaky lunch break peek) and was done in no time. The minute I finished, I just wanted to go back and read it again. Am I just an overgrown child you may well ask - quite possibly. I think this will appeal to anyone's inner child - if it is still intact that is - some people are just way too cynical.

Talking giant cats, festivities, challenges and adorable characters, go grab yourself  a copy this instant. Should you feel too embarrassed to buy what is ostensibly a book for children, find a niece or nephew to read it too. Sure its sneaky, but you'll all have fun.


5 out of 5 cursed kids everywhere are just a little bit wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment