Wednesday 31 January 2018

Theft by Finding: Diaries 1977-2002 by David Sedaris

"I returned to French class after five weeks away and the teacher kissed me."

One of my delightful friends is a massive fan of David Sedaris and has converted me. For the second year running we got to meet the author and it was a delight. A gorgeous night at the Sydney Opera House and the always amazing Mr Sedaris read some extracts from this diary and from the future volume which sounds equally exciting. I know I'm not discussing the book, per se, nevertheless, one I'm going to continue on this side path. His essay on being a 'pocket gay' was so delightful and immediately comes to mind.

This collection of diary entries is fabulous. Short sharp insights into the author's life with strange occurrences we can all relate to. He has this amazing ability to spell out the obvious in both a disarming and entrancing manner. I'm a huge fan and can't wait for the release of the next instalment. Undoubtedly you'll find me next year with tickets to his book tour and a massive big grin, enjoying the pre-show drinks and the happy shared sense of humanity that the crowd fosters. How can you not love a guy who is as obsessed as counting his steps as I am.


5 out of 5 - stay as amazing as ever David x

No comments:

Post a Comment