Monday 3 April 2017

Lion by Saroo Brierley

"Fate had delivered me from dire straits into a comfortable existence - perhaps I needed to accept that the past was past and to move on"

I managed to read this in a night and it certainly is easy to read. Not having seen the film I was eager to read the book first and see what all the fuss was about. Having seen the trailer about a million times, I sensed I was in for an emotional journey. The facts alone are staggering.
Having said that, I didn't seem to connect with the emotion here. The tale is told in a rather factual way, particularly given the sheer scale of Saroo's journey, I found this surprising. Who knew Google Earth could reunite families from across opposite sides of the planet.

4 out of 5 train journeys sometimes send you off the beaten track.


No comments:

Post a Comment