Friday 17 July 2015

Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd


"I am in the Pitte, but I have gone so deep that I can see the brightness of the Starres at Noon"

If you have read my blog, then you will know my obsession with ticking off must read books and this one appears on a number of lists. From the 1001 lists to David Bowie's Top 10, it has also taken out the  1985 Whitbread and Guardian Fiction Prize. I have had a pretty crazy work week and have been reading this in fits and starts in the wee hours before bed.
it oozes a dark tone, a dark nightmarish tone that lingers.

Perhaps my experience of this novel, seriously distracted by other events, detracted somewhat from fully appreciating its merits.

On reflection, I bumped up my score, due to the strange ickiness that seemed to remain with me after the last page. Not surprising given the human sacrifices, murders, creepy church locations and temporal disconnect. Should you feel like a voyage from ye olde english architectural dramas through to more modern detective fiction, then this may just fulfil your needs.

4 out of 5 dark places lie in the shadows.

1 comment:

  1. I haven't read this, so I can't leave a pithy comment. Instead I will just say this: it's such a pretty edition!

    Also, sorry to hear about your hectic work week :(

    ReplyDelete