Sunday 14 December 2014

Cockfighter by Charles Willeford



“All I had left was a folded ten-dollar bill in my watch pocket and one dead chicken”


If you fancy a taste of masculine, gritty reality, this is definitely going to float your boat. I have to say I was a little put off initially by the title. The thought of cock fighting, a particularly brutal “sport” in of itself was enough to make me think twice.

There is something ultra-real about Frank, his constant movement, his dragged out engagement and his gambling; his runs of bad luck and his frantic couplings on the road. At the same time, there is something equally foreign about the setting and time.

I know this review is a little on the concise side, yet I feel this is something you -  potential reader - should discover on your own.

 4 out of 5 ruffled feathers may fly.

No comments:

Post a Comment