Tuesday 2 September 2014

When you are engulfed in flames by David Sedaris

"And that is exactly what a bow tie says. Not that you're powerless, but that you're impotent"

Goodness what would Matt Smith's Doctor Who say? What a fabulous little book and how glad I am that my friend so kindly introduced me to the entertaining anecdotes of David Sedaris. This book was perhaps even more of a delight, because I had the great fortune earlier in the year to get it signed by the author, and I've been waiting for the opportunity to savour its contents.

Sedaris is a raconteur extraordinaire and whether he is keeping you entertained with his hobo dress sense, macabre tales of the dead, the struggles of quitting cigarettes or learning Japanese or French, it is all particularly entertaining. If you ever get the chance to see him live, I urge you to go, his persona is just as delightful in the flesh.

There is an incredible sense of immediacy, that you've been taken into a friend's confidence as they regale you with little tales of their life, that makes you want to return to the book. I just love when his attempts to learn to speak French amount to the use of "d'accord" as a response to every question.

5 out of 5 fake asses make great presents.

No comments:

Post a Comment