Tuesday 21 January 2014

The Dead by Charlie Higson

"From now on they're officially not zombies, they're sickos"

I started reading this and thought, hmm, maybe I've reached zombie overload. They seem to be everywhere these days - well, not exactly literally (although I might have seen a few possibles in the wee hours of the morning).

Usually, I prefer to read a series from go to whoa and was disappointed when I realised this was a sequel and that I was beginning it without having read the original. I was prompted to check this out after reading about it when the author listed his top 10 horror books for The Guardian.

There certainly are some hair raising moments and the concept that the zombie disease attacks only those over the age of 14 is an interesting one. I particularly loved the way that the author isn't afraid to kill off protagonists willy nilly - it certainly helps with building suspense.

4 out of 5 killer kids can really wreck havoc when adult zombies are about.

No comments:

Post a Comment