Friday 4 October 2013

Sanctuary by William Faulkner

 

"Her eyes, all pupil now, rested upon them for a blank moment."

 
Tiresome, bleak and hard to follow are what comes to mind when I think about my experience with this novel. To say I didn't enjoy it would be an understatement. When the horrors of rape by corn cob are a plot overture, you can imagine my dislike for the subject matter. Everyone seems drunk or horrible, the pages of this book were not a place I'd like to remain in.
 
There is a lot of gin and moonshine partaken of within the pages of this tale, and I couldn't help thinking that the writing had a slightly inebriated quality. Perhaps that was the fault of the reader, who had also imbibed the odd gin or two the night before she read this.


2 out of 5 I need another drink after this


No comments:

Post a Comment