Sunday 8 September 2013

Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris

"When my mother died and was cremated herself, we worried that, acting on instinct, our father might run out and immediately replace her."

I was completely oblivious to the works of Mr Sedaris, but his approaching tour brought his name up in conversation with a true fan. As such, I was prompted to seek out one of his oeuvres. I'll admit I had seen this in a bookstore before and had been put off my the poor English of the title. Reading it, however, proved just how hilarious and apt the title was.
 
 
I think everyone has craziness in their family, in themselves, the world is a 'special' place, and Sedaris' delightful vignettes are proof positive of this assertion. Maybe not everyone has a father that eats hats, nonetheless, I think we are all capable of putting forward a similarly unpredictable anecdote about ourselves or our family. If only we could tell those tales with the refreshing honesty and hilarity of this little offering.
 
 
 5 out of 5, more edible than the unidentified brown object in the bottom of the suitcase.

No comments:

Post a Comment