Tuesday 27 August 2013

Obsidian Butterfly by Laurell K Hamilton

"My hormones, my fault. I needed more hobbies, that was it, more hobbies."

It has been quite some time since I visited with Anita Blake, vampire exterminator and necromancer. I think I'd had enough of her lady doth protest too much attitude towards the sexy vampire Jean Claude. Given my propensity for sexy vampires, not the sparkling, holding hand kind, it was time to check in on volume 9.
 
 
Quelle surprise, this novel sees Anita away from her entertaining and always traumatic love life with Richard the werewolf and the delightful Jean Claude and this time she's off visiting the exterminating Edward, or his alter ego Ted in his home town. Queue way too much gore and way too little actual sex - Anita seems to feel guilty, a hell of a lot, about her lustful urgings, but there are way more pages devoted to her gruesome detective work and very little action for this pent up supernatural chick.
 
 
Yes, clearly this is not a literary masterpiece, but it is rather a speedy read. Ah will Anita's return to her home at the ends of the novel lead to some more fireworks with Richard and Jean Claude . I realise this sounds like a cross between bad soapies, bodice rippers and detective procedurals and that would just about sum it up. An easy escape from a busy week at work.
 
 
 3 out of 5, watch out for those body skinning freaky supernaturals in New Mexico.

No comments:

Post a Comment