Saturday 17 August 2013

Louis Theroux - The Call Of The Weird

 

"In my conversations with the women, I was aware that I, as a man, was in a small way being hustled, and in none more so than with Hayley."

I have always enjoyed the documentaries of Louis Theroux. Is it his boyish good looks, his awkwardness, or his foot in mouth style approach to interviewing that makes him so appealing? I wondered this as I explored this book, basically the written version of his travels to re-visit former interview subjects.
 
I really wanted to love this as much as the TV version, however, there was something missing. I queried whether my response to Louis was perhaps a littler too superficial? On reflection it seems that my lack of affinity for this written incarnation stemmed from the fact that the weird characters - in print - lose some of their weirdness.
 
 
It is still rather an interesting exploration of how people in out there sub cultures end up modifying their behaviour - in the most part - to get along with the rest of the world.
 
 4 out of 5 - I'd prefer to see you on the screen Louis, but I still think you are great.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment