Tuesday 2 July 2013

The Liar by Stephen Fry


"Adrian had received a decent and broad English education in the area of his loins."

I had thought that my love and respect for the author of this novel knew no bounds. His velvety tones usually transform the English language into something sublime and I loved the non-fiction account of his life. Having said that, this story just lost me. There are passages of beautiful writing, yet the plot left me with the distinct impression of being stuck in a washing machine on heavy duty mode. It bounces around time frames and locales and lost this reader in the process.
 
Perhaps the life of a hormonally infused young man in an English public school  is too foreign for this girl to comprehend. Perhaps my hatred of cricket over rules all? I'm really not sure.  3 out of 5, sorry darlings, just not really my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment