Sunday 2 June 2013

Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler


"Every sort of trouble I can think of, we've tried it out- become expert at some of it, even, so much so that I've come to wonder whether artists in particular seek out hard times the way flowers turn their faces to the sun."


The shining lights of the golden couple's heyday are beautifully transposed against the reality of a troubled marriage in Fowler's re-imagining of the world of the Fitzgeralds. A captivating read,  perfectly timed to coincide with my visit to the cinema to see The Great Gatsby.

I was fortunate to be able to read a copy of this novel that had caught my Aunt's eye in a bookstore on a weekend trip to Bowral, and finish reading it on a flight to Adelaide - yes this book has done some mileage.


The spirit of Zelda's novel Save Me The Waltz  is clearly captured here and whilst the tale is, as anyone familiar with their story knows, sad, this is a beautifully executed work which I enthusiastically enjoyed. 5 out of 5 crazy lifestyles can lead to a bitter end.

No comments:

Post a Comment