Thursday 9 May 2013

Solar by Ian McEwan

 

"He had it coming. His four previous wives, Maisie, Ruth, Eleanor, Karen, who all still took a distant interest in his life, would have been exultant, and he hoped they would not be told."

 
 
Finishing this novel in the early hours of this morning, I wondered what had propelled me to finish and stay awake? It begins strongly with a serial womaniser getting his come uppence in the form of a cheating spouse. Life and love continue to get murkier for the scientist. I kept reading thinking, while this is written well, I'm really struggling to feel any connection with a rather unpleasant fellow.
 
The novel won the Bollinger Everyman Wodehouse Prize for comedic fiction, however, I only found it amusing it parts. There was  an overwhelming sense of emptiness, that I found frustrating. 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment