Monday 27 May 2013

Christmas at Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons

"The town cannot be said to have fallen asleep in 1760, when most of it was built, because, even then, it was not fully awake."


My enjoyment of  Cold Comfort Farm was such that I was eager to revisit its locale by way of what I thought might be a sequel. That was not the case. This is a collection of short stories which treated separately are both charming and delightful. 

Reading the sixteen short stories, they appeared to me to operate on varying levels of success, I loved some and was a little ambivalent on others. The least interesting, strangely enough, for me was the titular story. For a review with more of a historical context I would recommend  Nicholas Lezard's review in the Guardian.

Ultimately, there is something about this collection akin to putting on a warm woolly jumper in the cold of winter, which given the weather at the moment seems the perfect antidote. 4 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment