Monday 25 February 2013

The Reluctant Fundamentalist by Mohsin Hamid


“Erica’s family lived in an impressive building with a blue canopy  and an elderly doorman, who adopted a coldly disapproving expression that would not have been out of place on the face of the gatekeeper at one of Lahore’s larger mansions  had I driven up in a small and rusted automobile”.


Settle back while I tell you about my latest read. Certainly, I did not expect to enjoy it as much as I did. While the ending can somewhat colour the reader's appreciation, its engaging conversational tone and fish out of water feel makes for a speedy read.

Changez is seduced by the American dream with  a Princeton education and well to do friends, but rejection from his American lover and the events of 9/11 highlight how much of  an outsider he still is. His is a seductive voice, which entices the reader to continue at a cracking pace.

Sure to provoke strong opinions in many, I'd recommend this intriguing read. 5 out of 5.


No comments:

Post a Comment